Yes! You can use Essential Oils on your babies!! People do it all of the time. There are a few you want to steer clear from until your babies are a little older and I will go into more detail about that a little later. There are also some that you probably don’t want to live without. In this blog I am going to talk about EOs and kids, how to use them, and I will cover some from the Premium Starter Kit and how you can use them with your kiddos.
Why Should I Choose Young Living Essential Oils for My Kiddos?
Well, there’s actually a simple comparison to explain why you should choose Young Living Essential Oils over any other. It’s like comparing cheap olive oil to extra virgin olive oil. One is more expensive. Why? It’s the grade of the oil. Young Living EO’s are 100% Therapeutic Grade.
YLEOs (Young Living Essential Oils) are completely organic. Young Living use their own farms, use non-GMO (genetically modified) and heirloom seeds, use no pesticides, has their own labs for testing and adheres to stringent standards, and the list goes on and on with the quality of care they take with their oils.
Did you know that the majority of ALL other oils out there are not safe to ingest or even apply topically?? That’s right! They are loaded with synthetics. (These can be very harmful to both children and adults.) I personally am completely okay with spending money on high quality oils that will actually work. Especially when it comes to my little man. 🙂 There is a lot of research going around about the safety of oils and children. A wonderful resource is the book “Gentle Baby” by Debra Raybern. This book tells many many ways you can safely use EOs on your children.
How Do I Use Essential Oils on My Kids?
Let me start by asking you to please ALWAYS use a carrier oil when applying EOs to children or infants. Essential Oils are very concentrated so it is important to dilute them some before applying to younger, more sensitive skin.
How much carrier oil do I use to dilute?
- Infants – It is recommended to use a 1:30 ratio or 1 drop of EO in 1-1/2 tsp CO (carrier oil). To many that may not seem like enough EO, but the oils are powerful and it is a good place to start. Using a CO will create a more sustained effect.
- Children 2-6 Years – It is recommended to use 1-2 drops of EO in 1 tsp CO.
- Children 6-12 – It is recommended to use 1-2 drops of EO in 1/2 tsp CO.
Some common carrier oils are: Young Living V-6 (a mommy favorite because it absorbs quickly and does not stain), Organic Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Grape Seed Oil.
How Can I Essential Oils Be Used with Children?
I love using my oils both topically and by diffusing for my kiddo.
- Diffuse the oils in a diffuser. The diffuser will not heat the oils, thus ensuring full benefits. Extreme heat can damage the constituents in the oil. I usually use about 3-4 drops of EO in my diffuser at a time. You can also read the label on the oil which will often give you diffusion times for that particular oil. If an oil is not recommended for children, then I tend to avoid diffusing that oil in any room that the child will be in at the time of diffusion.
- Apply the oils topically. Use a carrier oil to dilute the oil and then apply to the desired area. The next section is about applying oils to children.
What are Some Ways I Can Apply Essential Oils?
I am going to show you two charts that recommend was to apply EOs to infants and children.
When in doubt, use the feet. This is where the skin is the thickest and the least sensitive area but will get the job done.
Well, this covers the basics of kids and essential oils. I will get more in detail with my next blog about this subject. For example, what different oils are good for when it comes to children.